My Little Landen

My Little Landen
This blog has been created to help others keep up to date and follow our journey. I will post as often as I feel there is new news in his condition or our family be it good or bad.

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Surgery Day

Well we are all settled in and getting ready to go to sleep. It was an early morning for us and its been an even longer day. We got him back into surgery around 10:30 this morning. It was about two hours until we saw Landen again in the PACU and we waited with him until we got to our room. Surgery went very well we were happy to find out that after reviewing Landen's gait analysis we had done last week and reading their report he was thinking that we may not have to do a cast all the way up his leg. He wanted to wait until Landen was completely relaxed and out to do another evaluation and see just how tight he was when he wasn't fighting back. In the end he decided to cast his legs below the ankle (one blue and one green because Scott and I couldn't agree on colors) and then use knee immobilizers to keep his legs straight. This is a big advantage we have been given permission to let him out of the immobilizers to either sit or crawl for a short time each day which will let him get his wiggly's out. But most of the time including sleep time he will need the immobilizers. Even after we take the casts off in 4 weeks or so we will hopefully use the immobilizers during bed time and nap time. 

Landen has spent the day mostly sleeping waking every once in a while to either play and giggle a little or complain letting us know he needs more pain killers. In all  he has handled it very well needing less pain meds then we expected. We are still waiting for him to be more awake and see how he feels then. Two of my brothers visited and kept us company but now its just Scott and I. Tonight both Scott and I are hunkering down in Landen's room and getting ready to sleep. 

It was a very emotional day for me but I'm very proud of the fact I only cried a few times. Its good to see him doing so well but I sincerely wish we didn't have to do this at all. We still have several weeks to get through while he heals and recovers and then we are not sure how rehab will go. There is a chance depending on his strength of them bringing him back here to do impatient rehab after the casts come off. I'm praying that it doesn't come to that I would much rather have him home working with our PT in Logan outpatient. My sweet little boy how much I love him. Its hard to see him in pain and its hard to see him laid up like this. I just keep reminding myself that this is for the best. After we get through these few weeks and he is walking more comfortably it will be worth it. This is just hard. This disease is hard, the many ups and downs are hard, sometimes it feels like its mostly downs. Sometimes it feels like so much work and tears and frustration. But my little Landen is worth it! I love him so very much. 


\










No comments:

Post a Comment